Conceptual and theoretical analysis of immune activation and biological boundaries
The goal of our interdisciplinary group is to offer an enriched conceptualization, explanation, and modelling of biological processes, particularly through our ERC-funded IDEM project. We reach this aim through what we call « Philosophy in biology », an innovative way to combine the contributions of philosophy of biology, experimental biology, and medical biology. We are focused first and foremost on immunology, but also have much interest and expertise in microbiology, evolution, systems biology, developmental biology, physiology, among other fields.
Our group currently works on four main projects:
Within Thomas Pradeu’s ERC Starting Grant project (2015-2020), entitled “IDEM” (for “Immunology, Development, and the Microbiota: Understanding the Continuous Construction of the Organism”), we aim at understanding how the microbiota is involved in the construction and maintenance of the host organism.
IDEM consists of four areas:
In total, 4 postdocs and 1 PhD student will be hired in this project. For further information, please visit the ERC IDEM’s webpage.
In collaboration with medical doctors of the Pellegrin Hospital, we formed two teams working on the microbiota: one prepares a paper about immune-microbiota interactions; the other organizes meetings with internal and external speakers.
We attempt to propose a refined definition of the notion of tumor microenvironment, at the interface between cancer biology, developmental biology, immunology, and studies on angiogenesis.
People from other labs involved: Andreas Bikfalvi (Inserm), Lucie Laplane (IHPST & IGR).
Philosophy and Biology Seminar in Bordeaux
Institute for Philosophy in Biology and Medicine
More information here.
Contact: Thomas Pradeu
PhilBio Paper Work Group
Each week, a philosophy of biology postdoc of the Pradeu Group presents their work for feedback.
Contact: Lynn Chiu <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Pradeu Group Meeting
Once per month, a Pradeu Group member presents their work.
Contact: Leonardo Bich <email@example.com>
New paper in Trends in Immunology (2018), by Gérard...
New paper by Lynn Chiu, Thomas Bazin (co-first authors),...
Right out of the box: how to situate metaphysics...
- Eberl G. & Pradeu T. (2018), Towards a General Theory of Immunity? Trends in Immunology.
- Chiu L., Bazin T. (co-first authors), Truchetet M-E., Schaeverbeke T., Delhaes L. & Pradeu T. (2017), Protective Microbiota: From Localized to Long-Reaching Co-Immunity. Frontiers in Immunology, December 2017, Volume 8, Article 1678. (Open Access).
- Guay A. & Pradeu T. (in press) Right out of the box: How to situate metaphysics of science in relation to other metaphysical approaches. Forthcoming in Synthese, in a special issue on “New Metaphysics of Science” edited by Max Kistler. (PDF of final draft)
- Bich L. & Green S. (in press), Is defining life pointless? Operational definitions at the frontiers of biology. Synthese.
- Hooks K.B. & O’Malley M. (2017) Dysbiosis and Its Discontents. mBio 8:e01492-17. (Open Access).
- Ferner A. & Pradeu T. (eds., (2017) Special issue on “Ontologies of Living Beings“, Philosophy, Theory, and Practice in Biology, Volume 9. Editorial by A. Ferner & T. Pradeu. Contributors to this special issue: Stéphane Chauvier, Melinda Fagan, Fridolin Gross & Sara Green, Catherine Kendig & Todd Eckdahl, Rory Madden, John Perry, and Christopher Shields. (Open Access).
- Laurent P., Jolivel V., Manicki P., Chiu L., Cotin-Bordes C., Truchetet M-E. & Pradeu. T. (co-last authors) (2017), Immune-Mediated Repair: A Matter of Plasticity. Frontiers in Immunology, April 2017, Volume 8, Article 454. (Open Access).
- Pradeu T. (2017), Thirty years of Biology & Philosophy: Philosophy of which biology? Biology & Philosophy 32(2), 149–167. (PDF of final draft).
- Moreau J-F., Pradeu T., Grignolio A., Nardini C., Castiglione F., Tieri P., Capri M., Salvioli S., Taupin J-L., Garagnani P. & Franceschi C. (2017), The re-emerging role of ECM crosslinking in T cell mobility as a hallmark of immunosenescence. Ageing Research Reviews 35, 322–335. (Open Access).
- Furman D., Chang J., Lartigue L., Bolen C.R., Haddad F., Gaudilliere B., Ganio E.A., Fragiadakis G.K., Spitzer M.H., Douchet I., Daburon S., Moreau J.F., Nolan G.P., Blanco P., Déchanet-Merville J., Dekker C.L., Jojic V., Kuo C.J., Davis M.M., & Faustin B. (2017), Expression of specific inflammasome gene modules stratifies older individuals into two extreme clinical and immunological states. Nature Medicine 23, 174-184.
- Marlin R, Pappalardo A, Kaminski H, Willcox CR, Pitard V, Netzer S, Khairallah C, Lomenech AM, Harly C, Bonneville M, Moreau JF, Scotet E, Willcox BE, Faustin B and Dechanet-Merville J. (2017), Sensing of cell stress by human γδ TCR-dependent recognition of Annexin A2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 114, 3163-3168.
- Howard J, Loizon S, Tyler CJ, Duluc D, Moser B, Mechain M, Duvingnaud A, Malvy D, Troye-Blomberg M, Moreau JF, Eberl M, Mercereau-Puijlon O, Dechanet-Merville J, Behr C and Mamani-Matsuda M. (2017), The antigen presenting potential of Vγ9Vδ2 T cells during Plasmodium falciparum blood stage infection. Journal of infectious Diseases, accepted for publication DOI : 10.1093/infdis/jix149.
- Pradeu T. (2016), Editorial introduction: The many faces of biological individuality. Special issue on biological individuality, T. Pradeu, ed., Biology & Philosophy 31(6), 761-773.
- Pradeu T. (2016), Organisms or biological individuals? Combining physiological and evolutionary individuality. Biology and Philosophy 31(6), 797–817.
- Chiu L. & Eberl G. (2016), Microorganisms as scaffolds of host individuality: an eco-immunity account of the holobiont. Biology and Philosophy 31(6), 819-837.
- Skillings D. (2016), Holobionts and the ecology of organisms: Multi-species communities or integrated individuals? Biology & Philosophy 31(6), 875-892.
- Pradeu T. & Vivier E. (2016), The Discontinuity Theory of Immunity, Science Immunology Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. aag0479.
- Bich, L. and Moreno, A. (2016). The role of regulation in the origin and synthetic modelling of minimal cognition. BioSystems, 148, 12-21.
- Bich, L., Mossio, M., Ruiz-Mirazo, K. and Moreno, A. (2016). Biological regulation: controlling the system from within. Biology & Philosophy, 31(2), 237-265
- Guay A. & Pradeu T. (eds.) (2016) Individuals Across the Sciences. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Pradeu T. (2016), Mutualistic viruses and the heteronomy of life, Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 59, 80-88.
- Pradeu T., Kostyrka G., and Dupré J (2016), Understanding viruses: Philosophical investigations, Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 59, 57-63.
- O’Malley MA (2016). The ecological virus. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 59: 71–79.
- O’Malley MA, Wideman JG, Ruiz-Trillo I. (2016), Losing complexity: The role of simplification in macroevolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 31: 608–621.
- O’Malley MA (2016, in press), Reproduction expanded: Multigenerational and multilineal units of evolution, Philosophy of Science.
Selection of Past Publications
- O’Malley MA (2015). Endosymbiosis and its implications for evolutionary theory. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 112: 10270–10277.
- Pradeu T., Jaeger S., Vivier E. (2013,) The Speed of Change: Towards a Discontinuity Theory of Immunity? Nature Reviews Immunology 13, 764–769.
- Pradeu T. (2012), The Limits of the Self: Immunology and Biological Identity. New York: Oxford University Press
- Pradeu T., Cooper E.L. (2012), The Danger Theory: Twenty Years Later. Frontiers in Immunology 3: 287.
- Pradeu T. (2010), What is an organism? An immunological answer. History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 32: 247-268.
- Dupré J and O’Malley MA (2009). Varieties of living things: Life at the intersection of lineage and metabolism. Philosophy & Theory in Biology 1.
- O’Malley MA (2009). What did Darwin say about microbes, and how did microbiology respond?. Trends in Microbiology 17(8): 341–347.
- Pradeu T. & Carosella E.D. (2006), On the definition of a criterion of immunogenicity. Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences USA (PNAS), 103(47): 17858-61.
- Carosella E.D., Pradeu T. (2006), Transplantation and Identity: A Dangerous Split. The Lancet 368(9531): 183-184.